Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Fables

Each week I taught a different type of story, I started with Fables. I had the students sit on the back carpet so as a group we could discuss. I had students turn and talk for about a minute about what they thought a Fable was. None of the students could explain. So we made the anchor chart, then again turned and talked to come up with examples of what we thought a fable was.
The anchor chart we created. It includes the definition of a a Fable- short tales used to teach a moral or lesson often with animals as the characters. 
Then we did just quick points to help us remember, the story is brief, main characters are animals, fictional tale, and teach a lesson. 
The last thing listed on the anchor chart is examples to help us remember, Tortoise and the Hare, Ugly Duckling, and The Wolf and the Crane. I saw a similar anchor chart from pinterest and got my inspiration from there :) This is the exact blog, it has TONS of amazing ideas :) http://msnoren.blogspot.com/2011/10/traditional-literature-traditionally.html

Here is the book I used to help teach Fables. Each day after lunch as a transition for students I would read one Fable. Before reading i would first have students remind me what makes a Fable. Then I would read one fable, then have students turn and talk with a neighbor to discuss what the possible lesson or moral to the story is. My students LOVED doing this everyday after lunch and reading about Fables! :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment